Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All you need is love, Love is all you need.


In the United States I think we often live with a subconscious belief that, as Americans, we are superior to others. When I think of Jesus, I think of a white man that looks just like me and is gentle and warm and someone I am so familiar with seeing every day. But being a nice gentle man doesn’t necessarily make you a white man. People are so different, and many times the people we do not see in our everyday life can be hard to relate to. Racism is extremely common here in Chile. It is in your face and understood that it is a way of life. It is not a good way of life, but something that can happen anywhere.
I will never stop standing out in the crowd here. My skin will always be white no matter how much sun I get. My Spanish will always hold an accent (if in fact I do learn Spanish). And so much of what was common and normal to me, will never be normal here. With that said, in spite of the many simple ways we differ, and regardless of the vast oceans that separate us from where we live, and considering the complex being of man, we are still so much the same. We are all born with the same nature that is deeply rooted into our hearts, and can be shared no matter where we go. That can only be called love.
I can barely hold a one or two sentence conversation with most of my students or family, but many times I can understand them. I have learned the great importance of a smile, the touch of a hand on your shoulder to feel secure. Chileans are blessed with an amazing facial structure that can form into the most heartwarming smiles. On days when I need it the most, if any one gives me a grin here, my heart is comforted and I am ready to take on the world again. If you add a few dimples and a little child's face in the mix, then I can’t help but to throw my head back and laugh every time!
And how lucky are we that, no matter what language is spoken, laughter is the same sound and so easy to associate with? I don’t always understand every word, but I do understand how contagious laughter can be. And even if everything doesn’t make sense, when everyone is laughing together, it just seems to be understood. I may mime my way through life here but, when it comes to happiness, it is so easy to be shared! I am so grateful for this!
Music is another form of communication that I have come to appreciate even more in my life. I have enjoyed myself so many nights with new friends, their guitars and a lot of singing. Words may get mixed up but, when a tune is shared, everyone can have fun together. Dancing and music is such an important part of culture in Chile! I am so happy to be able to enjoy my school’s anniversary events through music and dance.
I really believe that deep down everyone has love in their hearts and, through love, we find patience, kindness and a pureness of life that can be shared no matter where we are. Understanding I am worlds away from home, I am so happy that love is a universal feeling that can be experienced everywhere. Being loved by new friends and family here makes me consider this a home away from home. (Feeling Joyful)

Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 comment:

  1. These are much overdue posts. Sorry for such a delay in my blog. Will continue to try and update things asap!

    ReplyDelete