Sunday, August 15, 2010

Oh what a night.....


Antofagasta.....

I was walking home tonight, and I found myself weaving around packs of sketchy looking men yelling at Jeanina and me.

As we continued walking, another man ran up to us screaming frantically - something about a cell phone.

Still continuing up the street, what appeared to be a homeless guy approached us and "dropped" his wallet in front of me. When I looked down, he had actually "dropped" five wallets! And by dropped I mean he threw the five wallets onto the ground and then ran away. I can only imagine that he was a pickpocket getting rid of them...or a very unfortunate man that now is missing the five wallets he happens to carry.

About two minutes later we saw two cops walking down the street. We decided to let them know. They just laughed and said that it happens all the time. Reassuring.

Following that a dog ran at us and started yipping and barking like crazy. Jeanina and I took refuge in a pack of people who proceeded to laugh and laugh at us.

At that point we just wanted to be home, and Jeanina unknowingly ran in front of oncoming traffic to get across the street.

We made our way up the street and, when we walked past the prison, the inmates started yelling out their windows at us.

Lesson learned: Stay in on Sunday nights.....

I feel uncomfortable.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Bad night out on the town! We will be praying for your safety in that foreign land.

    Proverbs 15:26
    The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD, but gracious words are pure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uf, Megan! Sounds like a difficult night and a tough one to quickly forget. Sorry that you had to encounter some ugliness.

    Mr. Fox quotes Prov. 15:26. So true!

    I'll add to that Psalm 5:11-12

    11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
    Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

    12 For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
    you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

    David & I are praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Megan,

    I'm so sorry you went through that! I have been here for 26 years and never been through anything that bad, although I have had my purse snatched a time or two. Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting blog entries Megan. I'm enjoying your saga of an unusual place that very few would ever see. Good job not panicking at first...sounded rather omonous. Now the worst is over, you are immersed.

    It is reminding me of six weeks I spent in Romania just after their Revolution of 1991. It seemed like such a Godless place and I was feeling rather overwhelmed. I walked around and stopped at churches until I met a pastor who introduced me to some Christians who took me in immediately and hooked me up with christian friends in Bucharest when I was there. These humble peple had paid a high social cost for being believers, all were very educated but way underemployed because of discrimination against ignorant believers, but they were the most caring, compassionate people and they would pray with me in Romanian and even cry with me and we could barely communicate. At first I felt this was all too much for me...no good food, living on boiled tea, sleeping in strange places but their generosity was so overwhelming that I felt truly blessed by them and hope I was a blessing to them also. So I have always been of the belief that God will make a way and you are not alone in this world so long as you can find a body of believers to connect with. I'm praying for that for you which is asking a lot given your remote locale but meanwhile count on us Foxes to be upholding you in prayer and keep up your good work.

    ReplyDelete